One Room Challenge – Week 3 – Shopping

It’s been a week of hardly any progress.  Rain, rain, and more rain has impeded any outside projects.  Not to mention, we are in the process of helping my parents purchase a home here in Houston.  I secretly think John is all about this idea so I can throw their house into chaos with DIY projects and leave our house alone.  Seriously John…I plan on doing both at the same time!

I was able to get one of these convex mirrors painted using European Gold Rub-N-Buff.  Well sort of…because if you look close enough, you’ll can see the gold paint on the black part.  OOPS!

IMG_4359I’ll give more details on that later.  I was able to get some shopping and ordering done for other things.

I ordered the curtain rods and stand-offs, and I just ran across the rings on sale.  Wahoo!  But, I’m not sure how many I need.  Hmmm….gonna need to research that some.

I also purchased the duvet that I mentioned in my last post.  While I was at Biscuit Home, I inquired about the green wall they had in the store to use on the armoire.  It is Benjamin Moore Alligator Alley.  Now that I have that, as well as the color of the walls chosen (BM Gray Owl), I’ll make a trip to the paint store.

I am still on the hunt for the perfect nightstands.  Like anyone else, you can find the perfect nightstands easily.  It’s all about the cost of the nightstands, right?

Now that half of the time is gone in this challenge, I have to get it together and get some actual work done.  It is still a bummer that the mattress that started this whole adventure, may not arrive in time.  BOO HOO!

Hope you guys have a great week!

Deidre

MDF & a FAIL

I’ve decided that MDF does not have a use in my DIY projects.  Yes, it is cheaper than real wood, and guess what????  It doesn’t perform like real wood!

I know you’re surprised, right?

I’m making a light fixture for the bathroom in my office loosely based off of this tutorial on Chic on a Shoestring. (The picture is an actual link to the tutorial.)

When I went to Home Depot to buy the wood for this project, I skipped over the poplar (hardwood), the pine (softwood), and thought I hit gold at the MDF.  It was cheaper and it was primed!  I was so impressed with myself by discovering this cheap alternative to wood.  (Look at me…paying attention to the cost of something!)

I really don’t want to relive the experience, because today I am heading to Home Depot to get some REAL WOOD for this project and will share the actual steps.  So I’m going to show you the pictures of when I gave up on this project last night.

The wood cracked, and I thought maybe wood filler could fix that.   When I attached the corners with screws, the wood cracked.   I thought maybe wood filler could fix that, right?

 For some reason, I started thinking maybe using a Kreg Jig with MDF wasn’t such a good idea.  Hmmm…did I read that somewhere?  I desperately need someone to write down these important details for me, but that would require me to actually read those details.

Yes, every corner kind of did that, but I was thinking wood filler would fix that right up.  When I finished attaching the four boards, I placed the frame on the large board that was going to hold the light fixtures.

Well, wood FILLER will not work here since these screws are STICKING OUT!
Well, wood FILLER will not work here since these screws are STICKING OUT!

So that is when I realized I needed to bail on this frame and knew that I had to do it again.  Boy, I hate doing things again…especially after I’ve been working on it for over an hour.

So I’m off to Home Depot this morning to get new boards that will not crack, and I can feel confident that they will hang on the wall.